Silver Diamine Fluoride is a non-invasive treatment option for some cavities. Not all teeth are candidates for this material but, when used correctly, it can stop active decay and also prevent future decay in the treated tooth. Silver Diamine Fluoride, or SDF, received FDA approval in 2014. Since coming on the market it has been an incredible aid in helping address decay in children and adults. With dental cavities continuing to be the most common chronic childhood illness we are excited to offer an alternative to the traditional “drill and fill” approach to managing dental cavities.
Pros of SDF:
- Quick and painless application
- Helps relieve sensitivity
- Arrests 80% of dental decay
- It helps arrest current caries activity and helps promote remineralization of natural tooth structure
Cons of SDF:
- Permanently stains any decayed portion of the tooth black
- Cavitated teeth, or teeth with holes, will still require a restoration to prevent food from packing in the area
- SDF is not a treatment for certain teeth such as those with deep cavities
- SDF is not a cure for dental decay, it is a treatment option
To learn more about Silver Diamine Fluoride or to learn if your child’s tooth is a candidate for this treatment call us at 360-692-9560 to schedule an appointment!
-Dr. Kaitlin Neste